Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Garmin hates me!

No joke! I seriously think it purposefully dies every time I try to use it! Conspiratorial little stinker (I do not know if conspiratorial is actually a word, but I feel like it is a legit fake one at least :-) ).
In all honesty, I think there may be something wrong with the wall charger part of it.  I still think it was messed up that it died the morning of the WDW half.  I KNOW I put it on the charger before I left for Orlando...all night! And there is absolutely no way it should have been dead in like 2 days.  It was dead again on Saturday, although this time it was my fault because it has been in my running bag since coming home from Princess weekend.  Even though I knew I needed to put it on the charger on Friday night, I did not.  So on Monday I knew that I needed to charge it so that it would be ready to go on Tuesday morning.  I plugged it in to the wall, and it beeped like it recognized something had happened to it, and it showed the little charger sign for a minute, and then it just gave me the "low battery" message.  No joke the battery is low, that's why I am plugging it in to the wall!! So I tried like 5 other outlets, and still the same thing, it beeped, but no charging.  I finally decided to try it in my computer.  It plugged in and charged just fine in the computer.  I left it in for a while and then unplugged it when I went to bed.  It was not really in the charger for that long, but it at least gave it 2 bars, which I knew would get me through 3 miles.  Last night my computer was dead, and I did not feel like plugging anything in, so I went to bed and crossed my fingers that the little bit of life I gave it on Monday would hold out, but alas this morning it was dead.  Sad. 

And to make the morning even more interesting, I woke up late.  Super late.  My alarm goes off at 5:30 on running mornings.  I immediately shut this one off because I also have alarms set for 6, 6:30 and 7 (those are for the regular days).  I ignore the 5:30 one, but it gives me the 30 minute warning, and I go back to sleep until 6.  For some reason though, the 6 and 6:30 alarms were both off!  I have no idea what I was thinking when I did that!  I was probably thinking it was a good idea to get some extra sleep :-)  So today, I opened my eyes and thought that I was enjoying the longest most awesome 30 minute nap ever!  And then I decided to just look at the clock, and it was 6:38.  I should already be in the car driving at that point.  Oopsie!

In my flurry of trying to get out of the house as quickly as possible, I left my Luna bar and bottle of water on the counter.  I did of course have the dead garmin, but no breakfast.  So when I got to my mom and dad's house, I decided to just borrow mom's garmin.  I stood in the driveway for like 5 mins waiting for it to "locate satellites".  Seriously, I listened to one full song on my iPod while I waited.  It was finally ready, and I made it about a half mile and that one died as well! Its like something in my body just sucks the life out of them :-)

It was also at this point in my run that I realized I could not breathe.  I forgot about my inhaler in my mess of activity.  Big mistake!  That's probably a little melodramatic...its not like I pass out or anything, it just makes running a lot less pleasant. 

So I had a dead garmin, no breakfast, no water and no inhaler.  Awesome morning :-)  The good news is that I still managed to keep my intervals.  I did somehow manage to remember my interval timer.  So the run was a little slower than normal, but I still stuck to those intervals and I think I was only a minute or two slower than my normal run to work. 

I am running a 5K this weekend...hooray for St Patrick's Day races!! And I think come Tuesday I am going to bump up the run part of my interval.  Hopefully by Tower of Terror I can get a little bit speedier :-)

1 comment:

  1. I went through that with my Garmin - I had it for four years and the battery finally just stopped holding a charge. I believe you can contact Garmin and have them replace it, but I have no idea how much that costs. I ended up buying a new one and now I can make it through full marathon distance without it going dead.

    Sounds like you had a heck of a morning. Hope the rest of the day went better.

    Good luck with the 5K this weekend!